Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My First Post! Getting to know ME!

Hi All! (Actually, there is no "all" yet because I haven't given anyone the link to this blog yet!)  I just wanted to let you guys know a little about me to start off with. 

My name is Jessie, I'm 27 years old.  I'm married to a wonderful man and we have a perfect son named Tommy.  He will be 2 in March so between working and parenting and making sure dinner is on the table, I'm a very busy girl! 

I went to college at the University of Kansas and majored in English...obviously that wasn't my brightest decision, considering I work for the engineering department of an oil and pipeline company and I do bookkeeping on the side for several businesses.  See how those have absolutely nothing to do with English...yeah, me too.  You might also notice that I do not write with any sort of correct grammar or punctuation...I know, I know. I sometimes make up my own words and I'm also pretty random and tend to bounce around a bit, please bear with me! :)   Throughout college I worked in a local grocery store, decorated cakes for Baskin Robbins, and bartended.  I've kept that busy lifestyle as you can tell only now I tend to keep myself busy with cooking or doing other "housewifely" tasks.  Growing up, we had Sunday dinners at Grandma's farm, we had fresh eggs for breakfast on Christmas morning out of the chicken coop, and both my great-grandma and grandma never really measured anything, they just kind of dumped stuff in based on how full their hand was or how heavy it felt.  My family is really into antiques.  Growing up in Lawrence, Kansas with college kids swarming constantly, I felt I was WAY too cool for all of that country life and antiques.  Well, I still hate antiques for the most part, they're beginning to grow on me in some ways though (Mom, I know you're reading this and this is NOT an invitation to start giving me junk, not at all) and I yearn for the much more simple life of the country.

My husband's family is Polish and he was also in the military and stationed overseas in Japan and Germany for several years.  He traveled extensively while in the military and has a bit of a sophisticated palate when it comes to food.  When I met him I didn’t realize WeinerSchnitzel was actually a food…I thought it was just a joke. I was definitely wrong and it’s now something we eat frequently.  I’ve learned to make Gwumpkie (“Little Doves” or stuffed cabbage rolls), Nalesniki (Polish crepes aka. Massive failure), Yaki Soba (stir-fried noodles with vegetables) and Schnitzel (breaded fried meat—think chicken fried steak).  I’m proud of myself for expanding my horizons!

Lately I’ve been on a kick of trying to do everything the old fashioned way…sort of.  I’ve been making my own bread (with a bread machine because sometimes I cheat), I’ve been sewing and I’m not half bad!  I’ve just, creepily-I might add, been longing for the old days where people depended on themselves and family to survive.  I’m pretty sure I was born in the wrong era because something about accomplishing making a fantastic dinner from scratch and having your guests compliment you and ask you where you bought it…it makes you happy. 

I guess that’s enough rambling for now.  Hopefully this blog thing goes well!  Please, please, please feel free to email me if you have questions, recipes to share, recipes you’re wanting, ideas, complaints, compliments…anything. I would LOVE to have feedback!! The address is  hobbyforahousewife@gmail.com

Thanks-
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment